After camping last weekend, having a smoky eye now means bloodshot, red, tingly and stinging. Not sure if that’s the sexpot scene most makeup artists would have you try for a night out.
But then again most makeup artists also push the dark black smoky eye. First off, I look insane and angry when I do that. Secondly, my age can lend itself to a little haggard looking if the makeup is too harsh. I need soft. I need fluffy. I need not to channel a heroine addict.
Tarte has a limited-edition kit (the Beauty in a Box: Bronze Smoky Eye) that features a handpicked collection to create the perfect soft smoky eye in…wait for it…brown! This kit is a really way to draw attention to your eyes in a subtle way. So subtle you could even do this look for daytime.
Here are the steps for using the kit, but you can certainly substitute your favorite brown/tan shades.
- Smooth a pearl-size of primer onto eyelids. Keeps things in place.
- Buff a bronzer directly onto your skin, paying attention to the areas where the sun would naturally bronze—forehead, cheek bones, nose and chin. Careful on the nose. The red nose of W. C. Fields–also not sexy.
- Apply dark brown to your lids, blending up into the crease using your fingertips or an eyeshadow brush.
- Using an eyeliner brush, apply chocolate brown liner along the outer and inner rims of eyes. To add a little color, you can also use a muted dark plum liner. Soften any harsh lines with a sponge.
- Apply 2-3 coats of brown mascara.