Healthy weight loss is between 1-2lbs a week. Blah, blah, blah. I want skinny now. OK, I don’t want skinny. I want slimmer. Insta-trim.
This is where my clothes come in. Good choices can slim you instantly (bad ones can add some lbs…for example, skinny jeans can actually be a misnomer for some bodies).
With a little help from Sarah McManus, fashion stylist in Boston, here are 7 wardrobe ways to look thinner…
1. Be Dull. Not literally. Just shun the shine, and stay away from fabrics with a shimmer like metallic or satin. They’re unforgiving and attract light to the largest parts of your body.
2. Opt for midrise jeans. Like muffins? Then have one for breakfast. But keep them far from your ensemble. Wearing higher waist jeans that meet your top at the midsection means a longer and leaner you. Save the muffintops for snacktime.
3. “Try a dramatic neckline or necklace,” says McManus. “It draws people’s attention away from the stomach and instead pulls it upward towards your face.” And people are supposed to be looking there anyway, right?
4. Get the right size bra. 80 percent of women wear the wrong size, leading to baby got back fat. Going up a band size erases this problem.
5. To elongate legs and appear slimmer, McManus suggests a nude pump (one without gladiator or ankle straps, which can cut legs off at the ankle). Legs appear seamless and forever-long in an instant. “Heels also add instant confidence and length to any frame,” she says.
6. If you’re a bit self-conscious about your tummy, exercise a little control. Wear Spanx under pants and dresses for a more streamlined look. If they’re a bit too pricey, they just launched a lower priced line called ASSETS by Sara Blakely.
7. Think about your proportion of color–slimming success is dark on the larger parts, light on smaller. “Choosing a lighter color on top and a darker color with pants in any outfit will appear more slimming,” explain McManus.
Do you have any go-to solutions for those not-so slim fashion days? Leave me a comment!