Moses and Charlton Heston have nothing on this guy. Top Beverly Hills derm and world-renowned for anti-aging skincare Dr. Zein Obagi shares his top skincare musts. Consider them Beauty Commandments. And there are only five. Not as much pressure.
- Keep your skin active. “At age 30, skin cells become dormant,” says Dr. Obagi. “You need to wake them up and enable them to resume producing collagen and elastin.” Look for products that contain high concentrations of retinol, the most effective ingredient for anti-aging.
- Don’t baby your face. “It can handle more than a little pinky tap,” says Dr. Obagi. Gently slap your face all over to keep the skin cells away, improve circulation to help remove toxic wastes.
- Shorten your shower. Hot water dehydrates skin, causing a loss of water and electrolytes which means taut, dry and older looking skin. Cleanse with tepid water and shower once a day for 10 minutes max. Then apply a good lotion while your skin is still damp.
- Get true beauty rest. As I mentioned in Wakeup & Makeup, Dr. Obagi suggests taking advantage of overnight products. Some of the best skin care ingredients (like retinol) are deactivated by sunlight, so they can’t be used during the day. “At nighttime your skin cells renew themselves, so look for retinol, surface repair agents and anti-inflammatory agents.”
- Get your beauty sleep. “Getting less than 7-8 hours of sleep will cause premature aging, as well as dark circles and puffiness under your eyes,” says Dr. Obagi. Skin looks healthier and more relaxed after some serious Zzzzs.
Take Dr. Obagi’s Skin Test to see how old your skin is. I scored skin 8 years younger than my age! How did you do? Let me know in a comment!